MyMp3Board.com Forum Index

http://forum.mymp3board.com MyMp3Board.com   FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Label planets, not people

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> WARZONE-ARCHIVES
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bitwhys

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Label planets, not people Reply with quote

by David Suzuki

Quote:
Last week, Canadians elected a new prime minister and scientists announced the discovery of a possible "Earth-like" planet in a distant solar system. Observers have joked that both are cold and distant bodies, but I think there are reasons to be more hopeful.

Scientists labeled the planet OGLE-2005-BLG-390Lb. It is the smallest extrasolar body ever discovered, at 5.5 times the size of our Earth, and takes 10 years to orbit its sun. It's also very, very cold - so cold it is unlikely to harbour any sort of life. Not exactly the kind of place we could call home.

Knowing that researchers are probing our universe, trying to understand where we came from, where we are going and how it all works is somehow reassuring. It's heartening to think that one day in the not too distant future we may discover that we are not alone in the cosmos, that Earth is not unique.

But we also have to remember that even if we do find other planets capable of supporting life, they are going to be a long, long way from here. For us to be able to visit or "emigrate" to another Earth-like body would take a quantum leap in our technology and in our understanding of the universe. This type of trip simply isn't feasible based on current science. For now, such expeditions still belong in the realm of science fiction.

In the meantime, while we scan the heavens for other Earths, we have to remember to bring those curious eyes back down here, to the only Earth we know actually exists. As far as we can tell, it is unique. It is the only spark of life in a very cold and dark universe. And right now scientists are telling us that we are doing a poor job of taking care of it.

Which brings me to our new prime minister. When Stephen Harper was elected, I heard people comment that it was a disaster for the environment. After all, Mr. Harper has been labeled a "neo-conservative," a "libertarian," and "anti-environmental." It hasn't helped that he has spoken out against even the most broadly supported of environmental initiatives, such as the Kyoto Protocol.

Now, I never minded being called an "environmentalist." In fact, I wore it as a badge of honour because it represented some of my core values. But the older I get, the more I realize that most people don't like being labeled. They don't like being typecast or pigeonholed. Labels are exclusionary by their very nature and they push people to their ideological corners, like boxers ready to come out for a fight.

The fact is, for every declared "environmentalist" there are 1,000 people who care profoundly about the environment. And there are another 10,000 who recognize almost intuitively that human health and well being is intimately connected to the world in which we live. As a leader and as a father, Stephen Harper, I am sure, recognizes this connection too. Polls show that the vast majority of Canadians certainly do.

The greatest environmental victories of the future will not be made by environmentalists, but by millions of concerned people taking small steps towards a common goal and ensuring that governments help us take those steps. These people have no labels. They may be Liberals, Conservatives, New Democrats, Bloc Québécois, Greens - it doesn't matter. They simply see that taking care of our environment means taking care of us. It makes sense for our health. It makes sense for our economy and it makes sense for our well being.

The question we have to ask ourselves is, what do we want our country to look like? Not just today and tomorrow, but 25, 50 and 100 years from now. What do we want our grandchildren and great grandchildren to thank us for doing? When we look ahead to our long-term goals, we can find common ground. And that's where we have to

Edited by: bitwhys at: 2/1/06 21:19
ans

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: re Reply with quote

"Labels are exclusionary by their very nature and they push people to their ideological corners, like boxers ready to come out for a fight."

. . .

So you won't label us 'clowns' anymore?

:ui

Good karma for you!

bitwhys

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

I never realized being a clown was an ideological issue.

maybe its a geographic thing.

ans

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject: arf Reply with quote

Well try this one on:

"the older I get, the more I realize that most people don't like being labeled."

The realization apparently comes with more with maturity than geography. So grow up :p

bitwhys

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: arf Reply with quote

growing up comes with realizing that sometimes the shoe fits, as in some clowns around here have a hell of a time respecting thread topics. respect is part of growing up too especially when it comes to the kind that is earned.

best line of the op/ed...

"What do we want our grandchildren and great grandchildren to thank us for doing?"

anything of substance you care to add?

ans

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: the irony bludgeons Reply with quote

Bitwhys: "everything else is just crap you CLOWNS need to fling"

Bitwhys: "Label planets, not people"

Bitwhys: "some CLOWNS around here have a hell of a time respecting thread topics"

Are you seeing ANY contradictions here?

Allow me to illuminate:

You Are Disrespecting Your Own Thread Topic By Practicing The Opposite Of What You Preach.

Duh. But hey, don't listen to me. Be childish and contentious. Drive mature folks off this board. Hurl ALL the insults. You might find it strangely satisfying. Time will tell.

:party

bitwhys

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: the irony bludgeons Reply with quote

shut up, dunce

which reminds me. anyone seen Scott lately?

ans

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:49 am    Post subject: lmao Reply with quote

Shut up dunce!?

THAT'S the spirit! Now get bald, change your name to Professor Nasty, pretend you're smarter than you really are and the transformation will be complete

:cute

bitwhys

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: lmao Reply with quote

Quote:
Are you seeing ANY contradictions here?

not at all.

Suzuki is discouraging the use of labels to predict future outcomes, not the appropriate use of appellatives to describe present situations. You see, if I were to call you a troll that would be acceptable too considering all you've done for two days is carry out personal attacks and launch diversions. Although its not surprising, its a pity you can't tell the difference.

Harper's talked about actually doing something about meeting goals and not just signing treaties. Suzuki is reminding his fellow Canadians to give Mr Hairplug a chance.

We'll see. Its going to be an interesting session of parliament this time around.

Edited by: bitwhys at: 2/2/06 2:02
ans

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:08 am    Post subject: re Reply with quote

"all you've done for two days is carry out personal attacks and launch diversions."

That's a stretch.

I attacked rude behavior in general and to Galmin's post I added an addendum, not a diversion. If you feel personally attacked than stop being rude.

:boink

bitwhys

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

Crash the thread with no other purpose than to make grude-laden criticism of me and then proceed to lecture me about manners.

please

not like the place is high traffic but mine isn't the only intelligence you're insulting.

ans

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: ? Reply with quote

Dude, I don't even know what 'grude-laden' means but if wishing you good karma constitutes 'grude' then I guess I'm guilty. My apologies.

re "Anything of substance you care to add?"

I hesitate to add anything further on this thread, as you labeled it a 'diversion' when I added to Galmin's chart-posting, and besides, I don't know who 'Mr. Hairplug' is supposed to be, or why you feel the need to insult yet another human being with yet another gratuitious 'appellative'. Our friend Galmin routinely posts accurate charts and graphs accompanied by no text of his own. So what would you have us do? Argue about it? Argue with a chart? Compliment Galmin on his excellent choice of graphs? I don't recall YOU ever complimenting Galmin on his slick chart posting abilities. To imply that I somehow 'diverted' his chart-post from some illuminating discourse is ludicrous, and in no way supported by the responses to Galmin's other chart & graph postings. Quite the contrary. Those responses have been largely non-existent, being limited I believe to DT once asking why he even bothers to post them. In fact Galmin's latest has produced the most spirited discourse of all of his chart-postings, largely because of my addendum lol.

So peace out :boink

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> WARZONE-ARCHIVES All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: