MyMp3Board.com Forum Index

http://forum.mymp3board.com MyMp3Board.com   FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Something most folks wouldn't know...I didn't.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> BLAH-ARCHIVES
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seismic Anamoly

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 5:50 am    Post subject: Something most folks wouldn't know...I didn't. Reply with quote

My good friend Walt had this in his newsletter today....

Quote:

Robert Keeshan, better known to the world as "Captain Kangaroo" passed away today, January 23, 2004, from cancer. He was 76 years of age. Besides being an advocate of children everywhere, he also was the father of three himself. Mr. Keeshan served in the Navy, having entered just at the time Japan had surrendered. He began his television career as "Carrabelle the Clown" on "The Howdy Doody Show". In 1955 he became "Captain Kangaroo", a show that spanned 30 years, long before there was a Sesame Street.

Now as a rule I do not put in notices about non musicians; I still don't. When I was in Ninth Grade Bob Keeshan came to my school in Edwardsville, Illinois and one of the things he did was play a mean fender Stratocaster and sing some great songs. So, as a musician, we salute a man who made us laugh, taught us lessons in life and knew a great guitar when he saw and played one.

Bob Keeshan; now on the Night Shift.

by Walt Johnson

Turtle Pond Music

turtlepondmusic.tripod.com/

Keep on Jammin', Cap'n, and God Rest Your Soul....

Mr. Greenjeans is probably on Bass!!

border=2 height=35 width=125>

DreamTone7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Something most folks wouldn't know...I didn't. Reply with quote

God rest his soul. Here's something a lot of people don't know about him, either:

Dialog From a Tonight Show circa '70's ... Johnny Carson ... His guest was Lee Marvin.

Johnny said, "Lee, I'll bet a lot of people are unaware that you were a Marine in the initial landing at Iwo Jima ... and that during the course of that action you earned the Navy Cross and were severely wounded."

And you know how Lee was ...

"Yeah, yeah ... I got shot square in the ass and they gave me the cross for securing a hot spot about halfway up Suribachi ... bad thing about getting shot up on a mountain is guys gettin' shot hauling you down. But Johnny, at Iwo I served under the bravest man I ever knew ... We both got the Cross the same day but what he did for his Cross made mine look cheap in comparison. The dumb bastard actually stood up on Red Beach and directed his troops to move forward and get the hell off the beach. That Sergeant and I have been life long friends.

"When they brought me off Suribachi we passed the Sergeant and he lit a smoke and passed it to me lying on my belly on the litter ..."Where'd they get you Lee?"... "Well Bob ... if you make it home before me, tell Mom to sell the outhouse."....."Johnny, I'm not lying ... Sergeant Keeshan was the bravest man I ever. Knew ... Bob Keeshan ...You and the world know him as Captain Kangaroo."

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MyMp3Board.com Forum Index -> BLAH-ARCHIVES All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: